Friday, June 8, 2012

Week 1 Wrap-up

So here we are at Week 2 now!  That's right... I guess I should've mentioned that Day 1 was June 1st.

It's been interesting so far...

Here's the scoop.  I'm not sure Brian is as Gung-Ho for this as I thought.  The empty pack of Vanilla Oreos might be the first clue.  So I'm sad to report that this may be a lone journey if I can't talk him into jumping back on the bandwagon.

Here's the other change... I've decided to embark on a 'Water Fast' for a little while.  After juicing for 5 days... my appetite decreased and my taste for the juice diminished.  This was the same as before.. but this time I've decided to switch things up for a little while and do a true (hydrated) fast for a week or so.  It's strange and refreshing at the same time.  It's an experience I've wanted to have before but never had the courage or discipline to take seriously.  I don't know how long I will do this.  I'm keeping tabs on my health by urinalysis and blood glucose levels to make sure I don't stray into danger territory.  My plan is to switch back to the juice for at least a week or two before the 60-Days are over so my body can re-adjust back to food and take in the delicious nutrients.

Primarily, my reasoning is that the sugary juices (even when mostly vegetables) keeps the body from entering a state of Ketosis... which is when the body starts digesting adipose fat for use as energy once glucose/glycogen reserves are depleted.   It's a normal aspect to fasting and considered generally safe in normal conditions.  The body was designed to go periods of time without eating, it's a feature of our genetic makeup.  When you are in good health and not carrying around a lot of adipose fat (that is the bulky 'useless' fat that makes fat people fat), fasting can use up your fat really quick and will start breaking down muscles for energy quickly.  When you're as full of adipose fat as I am... that takes a while.  In fact, I bet if I kept myself hydrated and maintained good mineral/vitamin levels... it would take a very long time to burn off all this excess.

Don't worry though, I don't plan to fast that long.

-KC

No comments:

Post a Comment